Fall Activities to End the Season With

Lillie Leasure

Northeast Ohio is a very popular fall destination because of the wonderful views from places such as the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, amongst many wineries and breweries that sell themed spirits during the months of fall. If hiking and breweries are not someone’s first choice, there are many other fall activities that are popular to attend throughout September, October and November. 

In Kent, as snowfall has already begun, we are reminded that winter is on the way, despite the few remaining reddish-yellow leaves on the trees surrounding campus. Even with the snowfall seeming like a warning sign to the end of fall activities, there are still a few events to attend this weekend despite the end of the Halloween season. You can explore pumpkin patches, visit haunted attractions and watch horror movies in theaters.

If you are interested in finding good haunts to scare you in November, there are a few that remain open the first weekend of November. One is the Haunted Schoolhouse & Laboratory in Akron. This is a more kid-friendly haunted house, so if you are looking for a mild haunt, this is a great option. If you are looking to be scared a little bit more, the Factory of Terror in Canton is probably a better option. Both haunted houses are open until November 4th, and then they will be closing for the season.

Pumpkin patches are a popular fall destination, and though many are closed, there is one near campus that may still have the pumpkins you are looking for. This is the Dussel Farm in Kent – as they are open year-round, you may be able to find the pumpkin you are looking for. To ensure you can pick a pumpkin, head there relatively soon as their October Pumpkin Festival ends the last weekend of November. Once you pick your pumpkin, you can head somewhere to carve or paint the pumpkin, which has become a more common tradition within the last few years. 

For the first weekend in November, Akron’s Nightlight cinema has a showing of “The Exorcist” as a part of their Halloween weekend celebration. If you are looking for other movies being shown around the area, “Five Nights at Freddy’s” came out recently and will be showing in theaters all around the area, including the Highland Square Theatre in Akron and MovieScoop in Kent. 

If you are ready to brave a drive up to Cleveland for some fall activities, you can head to the Rock n’ Roll Hall of Fame for their ‘Cleveland Ghosts’ experience. This experience centers on performances describing Cleveland’s haunted past, including unsolved murders and unexplained hauntings. It goes on well through November, so there is a chance to make it throughout the following weeks. 

Though fall celebrations are winding down with the passing of Halloween, there are still a few events that you can go to to experience fall magic before the snowfall really chimes winter’s bells. There are still pumpkins to be bought, carved and painted; haunted houses and performances to experience; and scary movies to see before winter fully hits Kent State.