A Q&A with Fashion Connoisseur Olivia Meyer

Photo Courtesy of Olivia Meyer

Landing in Paris to study luxury brands, exploring Florence for personal growth, and working hard in New York to make dreams come true in the fashion capital of America.

Olivia Meyer, fashion connoisseur, has studied in three different places and shares her once in a lifetime experiences while away. She is a fashion merchandising major at Kent State University with minors in both fashion media and business. During her time at Kent State, she has emerged herself into the National Retail Federation Student Association (NRSFA) and worked with big fashion brands such as Dior and Valentino. 

Ever since childhood, Meyer has loved shopping and dressing up. She credits her personal confidence to fashion. It is a form of empowerment that she wants to spread to people around the world. To kick off this dream, Meyer is currently a top four finalist in the “Fashion Scholarship Fund 2024” with her sustainable and inclusive approach to the famous tights company, Sheertex. 

*Update: Meyer won the “Fashion Scholarship Fund 2024.”

Photo Courtesy of Olivia Meyer

.

You are currently one of the four finalists in the Fashion Scholarship Fund 2024 with your case study on the brand Sheertex. Can you tell us about the process of creating the launch for Sheertex?

“I have a really big history in the dance community, I grew up in the dance community. I actually fell in love with tap dancing and then I have explored many other forms of dance. So, tights have always been a very staple part of my wardrobe. When I was conceptualizing the type of change I want to make in the industry I was thinking about my own life and especially the types of new products that I am purchasing. I actually love to thrift, a lot of my clothing, things like tops or bottoms or jackets, skirts, dresses- I usually tend to buy those things second-hand. When I was thinking about things that I buy brand new, it is things like intimates or swim wear. Again, I love wearing tights, they are deemed as the plastic water bottle of the apparel industry. So when I was trying to think of an initiative for some type of garment or some type of brand I was like- okay I have to do tights.”

Based on your case study, it seems you care about sustainability and ethics in fashion. How do you think that is incorporated in the fashion industry today?

“Today we are living at a really exciting time where I think those conversations around sustainability and the importance that we are customers play in that conversation and the impact of clothing worldwide. It is really exciting to be a part of these conversations or to hear about brands that are recognizing the fact that making more products obviously is hurting the environment, but if we are going to make new products let’s think about the best way to make them and how to make them last as long as possible. Get the most uses per wear, make them more efficient, or multi-use types of things. I think it’s never been more exciting to be a fashion merchandising major, beyond just the clothing we are making worldwide impacts and creating a better future. Also the purchasing behaviors, just rethinking the whole system: how are we purchasing clothes, why are we purchasing clothes and with the dollars that we have, how can we make the most positive impact on our communities.”

You recently worked with Dior, can you share what that experience was like for you and what roles you had?

“I was a Unesco&Women at Dior mentee from 2022-2023. So that is a mentorship program that is really focused on skills that are not taught in the classroom like leadership and creativity, even mental health things like breathing exercises. So that is kind of the first part of the program, you get to go through these modules that are really engaging. The second part of the program you actually get to create a dreams for change project. You choose a team of about 4-5 other mentees and you pitch a solution for change and you start acting upon it. My team actually made it into the top 5 worldwide and we were able to go to the Unesco&Women at Dior 2023 global conference in Paris last year. This year I am going to the conference again actually next week. They invited me back because I hosted one of the episodes of the global conference on LinkedIn last year. I am excited to go back and experience the conference again, and see what they put together this year. Also support the mentees that have been working on their projects the last year as well. I am excited to reunite with the team and meet the new mentees. I also, since July have been interning at Valentino as well. That has been really excited, I have been working in inventory planning.”

What do you hope to accomplish or plan to do after graduation for your fashion career?

“Definitely looking for New York City roles, but open to other cities. I think New York is calling me the most at this moment because so much of the industry is there, so many events, you never know who you’ll meet. I just think it’s a city full of possibilities.”

Who is your dream company or brand to work for/with and why?

“I do not have just one, the types of companies that appeal to me that most are the ones that want to inspire and empower customers. The ones who also do not ignore their environmental impact and the impact they have on the communities that they serve. Also, the type of impacts they have on the lives of their clients. So I think conscience brands are the way to go. If brands are only there to make a profit it is not going to be sustainable in the long term.”

What are your favorite parts about the fashion industry, and what do you hope to see happen in the future?

“What I really hope for the future is a future of fashion that allows people to access different aesthetics and abilities that they have never experienced before. I have always believed in the power of clothes to enable people to do great things. Just like my case study tights for decades have been sold as a pair and really only people with two natural legs have really been able to wear tights. But, my case study really focused on cutting that standard in half and selling tights one leg at a time which allows people with one or two natural legs to be able to wear tights. So, small things like that actually make a huge difference.” “I love the conversations that are going on in the fashion industry and people really do want to make a difference, and I am absolutely here for it.”