Responding to a Daunting College Inquiry

Every student has been asked the same daunting question before, regardless of whether they are an incoming college freshman or a third-year student coming back home to visit family members on a holiday break. It seems as if everyone probes this question to all college students, regardless of their relation to the person asking. Strangers, friends, family members and even professors all inquire about this same exact question. 

This particular question, for some, is quite easy to respond to with a clear-cut answer that they planned for years leading up to their college career. However, for others, this particular topic of discussion brings upon feelings of anxiety and a rush of thoughts surrounding their future and whether or not they will ever be able to choose the correct pathway for themselves. “What is your major?”

Throughout my senior year of high school, not only was everyone curious where their peers chose to go to college, but everyone wanted to know what their classmates would be studying. Especially during the few months leading up to move-in day, I was constantly asked “What is your major?” by seemingly every individual I talked to. From my perspective, this question was very difficult to answer. However, I am here to tell you that there are plenty of other students who are in the same exact place.

From my personal experience, I was not an incoming college student who knew exactly what they wanted to study for the next four years. However, there are a few helpful tips I can provide to students who are in this same place and who may be struggling to decide what major to choose. These tips helped me significantly in decreasing the number of major options that did not pertain to my personal interests. Ultimately, this led me to choose a major that I am extremely interested in and love. 

Narrowing down your interests is the first step in determining a major that you would be interested in and would be beneficial to your own personality. In my experience, I knew I wanted to work around people and avoid desk jobs. Taking your interests and passions into consideration is a great way to rule out any majors that do not fit your specific personality. 

Another great tip for students who are confused about choosing a major would be to take a look into your own personality. Do you consider yourself an introvert or an extrovert? Do you prefer to work face-to-face with others, or would you rather communicate over a screen? Assessing your own personality will help you narrow down potential majors that will lead to careers that match your own personal traits. 

However, if this seems a bit too daunting, it is always a great idea to take a look into completing online personality quizzes. I know this sounds exactly like what a high school teacher would say, but there are several personality tests online that also recommend careers that fit your personality. These tests will give you an idea of careers that fit your own personality traits that you may never have thought of before. 

Although choosing a college major may seem like a life sentence, there are several ways to switch majors and choose a pathway that you truly love. After following these tips, students who are confused about what major to choose will be more in tune with their own interests, ultimately leading them to be several steps closer to finding a major that fits themselves the best! 

Featured image courtsey of Pexels.