10 Interesting Art Classes Available to Non-Art Majors

Illustration by Samantha Schaffer

Do you ever feel stressed by seemingly endless lists of college courses required for your major? Sometimes in the midst of semesters full of biology, history, mathematics and literature, an art class is the perfect way to have some fun and combat stress. 

The good news is that there are tons of art classes offered at Kent State, and many of the beginner level courses are open to non-art majors! The following courses have no prerequisites and can be taken by any student of any major. 

1. Ceramics 1

Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

Would you like a break from note taking and stressful science courses? In this class, you get to work with clay and learn some basic ceramic techniques.

2. Introduction to Glass Working

In Introduction to Glass Working, you’ll learn how to cast your own glass and try some glass-blowing techniques. You’ll be able to make some beautiful handmade glass pieces after taking this class!

3. Piano Class for Non-Music Students

Photo by Steve Johnson from Pexels

Have you ever wanted to learn how to play an instrument but weren’t sure how to do it on your own? Piano class is your opportunity to learn new  skills and play some beautiful, relaxing piano music.

4. Studio Dance

(offerings in Modern, Ballet, Jazz, Tap, Hip Hop, African Dance and Swing Dance)
Photo by Anna Shvets from Pexels

Dance is a way to integrate some exercise into your class schedule while also having a great time. These studio-level courses are available to any university student interested in dance, you don’t need to be a dance major. All studio level I courses are beginner level, meaning you need not worry about prior experience, and  you can just have fun!

5. Introduction to Fine Art Photography

Photo by Michael Dupuis from Pexels

The ability to take nice photos is becoming easier with better phone cameras; however, with this class, you could enhance your photography skills by learning more about photo composition and what makes for an aesthetic picture. 

6. Introduction to Painting 

Photo by Marko Blazevic from Pexels

Painting is a fun stress reliever for many, and with this class you could explore your creative side and learn more about basic painting techniques.  

7. Printmaking I

Photo by Pineapple Supply Co. from Pexels

Have you ever wondered how prints are made? This class will give you the answer and the chance to make some of your own! 

8. Introduction to Jewelry/Metals for Non-Art Majors

Photo by Maksim Goncharenok from Pexels

This class gives you the opportunity to get crafty and create your own jewelry. Learn how to design your own pieces and work with metal to make them a reality!

9. Introduction to Sculptural Practice

Learn more about sculptures and their various forms, shapes and meanings with this class. You also get the chance to use various materials to create your own unique 3D sculptures!

10. Drawing I

Photo by javier gonzalez from Pexels

Do you ever find yourself doodling on the edges of your notes or scrap paper? With this class, you can learn some extra techniques for enhancing your doodles and drawing capabilities.

The next time you need a break from draining academic classes, consider taking an art class! You will get to try something fun and interesting, add a new skill and maybe even discover a new passion that will turn into a long-lasting hobby. Art is all about self-expression and creativity, so don’t be afraid to branch out and try something new!

Learn more about these and other courses, including specific course descriptions and codes, at the course catalog pages for arts, music and dance