In The Queue #3: Halloween Edition

Illustration by Elliot Burr

Hello! Boy howdy, I’ve got some scaries for you! I’m also including a not-so-scary Halloween movie for the tenderfoots. Not everyone can be a horror connoisseur, but if you are, I’ve got just what you need! 

Welcome to the Halloween edition of In The Queue. I’m slinging scares for you, because it’s the reason for the season! So, make sure the closet doesn’t hold any skeletons, peek out the window and lock the doors! Alrighty ghouls and witches, let’s get into it!

“ParaNorman” (2012)

Alright, this is our not-so-scary Halloween movie. 

I love this movie, and I’m sure you will too! “ParaNorman” is a stop motion picture that makes an impression on you. You can watch this with older kids. This movie could also make for a nice date night movie, you lovebirds.

The movie follows a courageous young lad that can perceive and talk to the dead. The dead are restless and rolling in their graves. As the dead plan a takeover, it is up to Norman to save his town!

Okay, we’re really switching gears with this next one. Tenderfeet stay here; the “I’m not scared of anything” folks, follow me down!

“1922” (2017)

“1922” is a novella turned movie by Stephen King. This is one of the best Stephen King book-turned-movies out there! “1922” is a Netflix original, so Netflix is the only place it’s available to watch.

If you haven’t guessed it yet, the movie is set in 1922. It follows a farmer and his family who come upon hard times. The farmer’s wife wants to move from the country, but the farmer wants to remain on his land. There comes a divide between the family as their son feels torn between the two.

What will become of this family and their farm? You’ve got to watch it to find out!

“Scary Stories to Tell In The Dark” (2019)

You can find this one on Prime Video or Hulu with a Showtime subscription.

This is another book-turned-movie. I personally grew up reading these books, so maybe I am biased, but I love the stories. If you didn’t read “Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark” as a child, the books could still scare your socks off. The book is a compilation of scary stories all within the same binding. You do not need to read the books to watch the movie, but it does appeal to the nostalgic if you did read the books. 

The movie is set up in a world where eventually, all of the spooky tales come into existence with one another. It is a fantastic showdown that will surely make you leave the lights on at night!

“House” (1986)

For the fans of the alternate universe, “House” is a home run!

You’ll find this movie on Prime Video. The movie starts out with a corny you-gotta-love-it ‘80s feel. Trust me – the plot thickens, but who doesn’t appreciate some comic relief?

A famous writer trying to remain anonymous tries to track down his son. The police report will show that his son is dead, but he begs to differ. He tries to cope with the loss of his son as he fights through a messy divorce.

Watch the writer’s descent into madness as he stays in his recently deceased aunt’s house. This one will throw you a curveball, but I know you’re up for it, thrillseeker!

“The Taking of Deborah Logan” (2019)

We’re wrapping up this one with some real fright!

You can find this film on Amazon Prime, and if you already have Prime, it’s included in your membership.

A documentary crew films an old woman, Deborah Logan, whose mind is giving way to Alzheimer’s. The crew starts to discover something a little more than they bargained for. It seems that Logan’s mind is further gone than the documentary crew anticipated.

What will come of our curious creatures and their subject? You’ll have to watch it to find out!

Okay ghosties, that’ll do it for this Halloween! Thanks for following me down the rabbit hole. You’ve made it this far, you fearless warrior of the scaries and things that go bump in the night. If you’ve watched all the movies I’m sure you’re sleeping with the lights on until 2021!

Until next time, later ghouls!