Final Speakeasy Sounds

Illustration by Alice Leach and Elliot Burr

Hello y’all, and welcome back to Speakeasy Sounds! 

I’m excited to give you another shot at some new music before the semester is out. I know we’re all pretty tense, but I’m guessing you need to take a break. Hey, why not do it with some new-to-you-tunes?

There’s a lot going on — no denying it. If we stand together by staying apart during these difficult times, we take one step closer to seeing each other again in the new normal.

Singer Jello Biafra wrote: “But what can just one of us do against all the money and power trying to crush us like roaches? We won’t destroy society in a day, until we change ourselves first from the inside out.”

This is my way of saying: we need to be the change that we want to see in the world. Baby steps, y’all!

That’s my end-of-the-semester lecture. Now let’s jump into some new-to-you-tunes!

Analog Rebellion (indie)

For fans of alternative indie rock comes Analog Rebellion. If you’re hip to it, you’ll know that this band is essentially the child of the lead singer and songwriter’s original band: PlayRadioPlay!

Aggressively somber and heartfelt tones belt out of their album “Ancient Electrons.” You know I’m going to ask you to listen to the whole album, but if you’re in a rush, check out “Brain/Heart (I Need To Know).”

Del The Funky Homosapien
(hip hop)

You might recognize his voice from the popular Gorillaz song “Clint Eastwood.” If that doesn’t blow you away, step up to the plate and give Del The Funky Homosapien a solo chance!

If you love the samples, you’ll love Del. Verses spit rhythmically, bars spit by the plenty and wordplay by the dozen hardly does Del justice.

For this listen, I recommend listening to “Stress the World” on his album “Future Development.”

Built to Spill (alt)

For fans of the alternative West coast: enter Built to Spill. Word on the block is that Built to Spill influenced many West coasters at the time and the indie bands to come.

I would definitely recommend this band if you like The Flaming Lips or Modest Mouse.

This band can really sum up the alt scene that was happening in Washington at the time in the ‘90s. While you’re checking this band out, make sure to peep “Else” on their 1999 album “Keep It Like a Secret.”

Well y’all, I think that will do it for this Speakeasy Sounds! Thanks for tuning in and don’t sleep on the other great blogs that are still yet to come at the end of this semester. This is Terry thanking you for reading Speakeasy Sounds for another semester; y’all bring a tear to my eye.

Take a well-deserved deep breath and maybe step back from your work; I’m sure you need it! Make sure you counter your coffee/tea with water so you don’t get dehydrated, and check up on your friends with a text or call every now and then!

Until we meet again!