Kindle Unlimited

Kindle+Unlimited

Illustration by Preston Randall

Hey, y’all!

Today, we’re going to be talking about what is possibly my favorite thing in the whole entire world: Kindle Unlimited. People’s first reaction to finding out that I read three to four books a week is usually something along the lines of “How can you afford that many books?” or “How do you find that many books?” The answer is simply Kindle Unlimited. 

The first time I heard about Kindle Unlimited was from an Instagram ad about four or five years ago. The ad was for a free three-month subscription, and as an avid reader, I decided to try it out. I poured my heart and soul into those three months and was heartbroken when they ended. I had no way to pay for it myself at that point in time, however, so I couldn’t continue my subscription.

A year or so later, I got another ad and somehow swindled myself into another free trial. Once again, it was only temporary, but I still read from it almost every single day.

As soon as I got my first debit card, Kindle Unlimited was one of the first things that I bought for myself. Now, almost three years later, I don’t plan on stopping anytime soon.

Kindle Unlimited is heaven on Earth for avid readers. Essentially, you get a library of up to 20 of the two million books that are available. You can keep them for as long as you want; you just cannot exceed the limit. 

From personal experience, I found that there tends to be the best selection of romance novels as well, which works perfectly for me. 

I found so many great books this way, but I have also been introduced to so many great authors. Typically, if an author has one book on Kindle Unlimited, they will be more available as well. Because of this, you can easily read through the author’s works and quickly find favorites. This makes it very easy to find more books that you’re almost guaranteed to like.

The recommended books after you finish reading are also very personalized. I can very easily just go down a rabbit hole that way, not putting any thought into what I read next but still managing to find good books that I enjoy. 

It should also be mentioned that you do not need a Kindle to be able to read Kindle Unlimited. I only got one within the last year, and although I consider it to be worth it, it is very much not necessary. You can read from your phone or other devices, which is how I always used to do it. 

Kindle Unlimited is $9.99 a month, but you get a trial before you need to buy. If you read two or more books a month, this is a worthwhile investment. You can also buy longer subscriptions that cost more upfront but save you money in the long run. This is what I do. 

No matter what you like to read, you will find something you like on Kindle Unlimited. There is something for everyone; you just need to look. If you give it a try, I promise you won’t regret it. 

Until next time …

Hannah